When you’re considering home improvements, one of the choices you’ll need to make is what material to work with. And while wood, brick, stone, vinyl and fiber cement all have their uses, there’s another unique material that homeowners often find pleasantly versatile—decorative concrete. It’s true: Decorative concrete installed by a team of concrete design pros may be just what you need to add affordable, attractive features to your home renovation plans.
What Is Decorative Concrete?
Decorative concrete is indeed a form of concrete. But rather than the plain, utilitarian, rough gray appearance you may be used to, this beautiful form of concrete can be imbued with many looks and styles to add eye-catching appeal to anything it’s used for. With a wide range of finishes, colors, and other design elements to choose from, decorative concrete adds visual oomph to your home, inside and outside.
The Advantages of Using Decorative Concrete for Home Improvements
1. Beautiful Designs
A world full of options is available to homeowners who choose to use decorative concrete. The look of your concrete features can be customized in just about any way you can imagine, so that your floors, walls, paths, and driveways don’t even look like concrete.
Choose from a variety of styles to achieve the look you’re dreaming of:
- Textured — Can be smooth, grooved, patterned, stenciled, engraved
- Stamped — Mimics the look of stone, brick, slate, cobblestone, wood, fossils, shells, and more
- Colored — Comes in a wide range of tints, marbling, and stains
2. Impressive Versatility
Today’s concrete solutions can do so much more for homeowners than you might realize. Decorative concrete boosts your home’s appeal in many ways:
- Stunning design looks that make your driveway stand out
- Attractive paths that mimic stone at a cost-effective price
- Beautiful retaining walls that add charm to your landscaping
- Striking flooring for patios, porches, and fireplaces
3. Resistance to Damage
Areas that get heavy foot traffic, such as sidewalks and flooring, tend to get worn down quickly. One of the benefits of choosing decorative concrete for your indoor and outdoor areas is that it doesn’t easily scratch, scuff, or chip. It also withstands heavy weights without buckling, so it lasts longer than other materials.
- Move heavy furniture without worries.
- Pets won’t do damage to it with their nails.
- It’s great for driveways and parking areas.
4. Simple Maintenance
As you make home improvements, it’s smart to install features that make home care easier. Decorative concrete is great for this, as it requires little maintenance, making it super easy to maintain.
- Mop concrete flooring to remove dust and dirt.
- Wax indoor concrete floors once a year.
- Seal outdoor concrete surfaces every four to five years.
When it comes to green home improvements, decorative concrete flooring is among the best options available. This is because existing concrete subfloors in a home can be used easily to create your flooring, without removing old materials that end up in a landfill. You don’t have to add new materials either, so there’s no need to buy and use fresh hardwood or carpet.
- Simply treat the existing subfloor to get the look you desire:
- Spruce it up with an attractive overlay.
- Add a bright, lively stain color.
- Impose a decorative pattern on the existing concrete flooring.
- Seal the decorative concrete.
6. Cooling Properties
If you live in an area that endures hot, sweltering summers, then your home improvement plans should include ways to keep your home cool without running the air conditioning at full blast. Decorative concrete flooring is an ideal solution for this.
- Concrete stays cool to the touch even when exposed to heat.
- Concrete surfaces keep homes cooler in summer weather.
- The additional cooling aspect can reduce A/C bills.
7. Better Air Quality
For those with allergies, concrete offers an appealing home solution because it resists the elements that drive up allergic responses.
- Dust, dirt, and pollen can’t seep into the nonporous surface of concrete.
- Allergens can be easily swept away and eliminated.
- Air quality remains cleaner and more pleasant for you and your family.
Discover the Benefits of Decorative Concrete for Your Home
Why not dream a little and imagine the beauty and value you’ll enjoy from choosing decorative concrete for your home improvement projects? Check out our gallery for ideas you can use, and reach out to us for a free consultation to discover the ways concrete can transform your home.